Friday 24 May 2013

An Assistant's Life - part two

When we get to the put in beach, my tasks are as follows:

Get all the boats off the trailer and lined up on the beach ready to go. The clients are usually pretty enthusiastic helpers, but we try and keep the less sturdy individuals away from the heavier ends, and of course any doubles (tandems) that may going out that day.


Next, I sort my own kit - spray deck, PFD and paddle and make sure my own boat is setup ready to go. I usually take charge of the morning break snack bag - someone has to - and maybe take an extra stick or a split. During this time, Rod will be handing out decks PFDs and paddles to the rest of the group.


By the time they have collected everything they need, and got to their boat, I will be there to adjust footrests, explain the rudder if there is one, and maybe give them their first paddling lesson (which way up). Newby paddlers tend to need convincing that they are probably best off in bare feet, to sit up straight while footrests are sorted, and that the spray deck will come off if they capsize.







No comments:

Post a Comment