Friday 20 January 2012

The 4* Sea Kayak Leader Award - a guest blog from Rich

The 4* Sea Kayak Leader Award, Anglesey, North Wales

Having done my 4* training about 6 months earlier, and with winter fast approaching, I decided to get on and book my assessment. Having had an excellent 2 days on the training course with Nigel Dennis, I booked with SKUK again to do my assessment. The weather for the weekend of the course wasn’t in the least bit seasonal for November, with northerly winds and sunny weather on the cards.

I turned up at the boathouse on Newry Beach on the Saturday morning with my kit and boat (an old roto-moulded P&H Capella). The course was going to be assessed by Nigel Dennis, Phil Clegg and Eila Wilkinson. I was the first to arrive followed quickly by Simon, my work colleague. The rest of the group (8 of us in total) consisted of a Spaniard, 3 Germans and 2 Swiss paddlers, who had all travelled to the UK to undertake the course. After a few introductions, wasting no time at all, we went straight into our navigation exam, planning a route in the North East of England (not our route for the day, I must add!). After battling through it for the best part of two hours, we headed off to Borthwen, Rhoscolyn to do some paddling.



Conditions in the bay were completely calm but looking beyond the old lifeboat station I could see that there were some lumpy conditions just off the beacon. The rest of the morning, after the classroom based exam was spent circling the cluster of islands the beacon sits on going through a series of scenarios, as well as giving people an opportunity to lead a short coaching session on a particular skill. Given the conditions, most of them involved surfing whether intended or not!

When it was my turn I gave a short lesson on breaking in and out of the flow running in between 2 of the islands. With these lessons completed, we headed over to Porth y Cwrwgl for a spot of lunch in the sunshine. Porth y Cwrwgl makes for a great stop-off point with its sheltered bay and sandy beach. After everyone had eaten and just before going back on the water, we spent a few minutes ‘repairing’ Phil’s boat (i.e. covering most of the hull with Denso tape) and discussing strategies for problem solving.


Once back on the water, we headed back towards the beacon where the swell had grown considerably. It was time to look at rescues and towing, which we did in small groups. I was grouped with Simon and one of the Swiss guys. We set about each having a go at rescuing a fellow paddler and getting them back in their boat as well as a bit of towing which we did for about an hour.

We also looked at a few other problem solving exercises but before long we had a real-life problem on our hands. Our Swiss guy, after spending time in the water, had developed quite a bad case of sea-sickness and after I’d rafted up with him and alerted Phil of the problem, he vomited all over my deck (which didn’t do my stomach any favours, as you can imagine!). Me and Simon then set about getting him out of there and back ashore so I set up towing a raft (of Simon and the ill paddler) back across behind the beacon and towards the safety of the bay. Just before we were about to do the final bit of the crossing though, Phil wanted to see me and Simon demonstrate our rough water roll, so whilst he looked after the ill paddler we broke off the tow and raft, did a roll each and then got back into the raft and towed back to the shore.

Once back in the calm waters in Borthwen bay, we then looked at a few self-rescues before getting out. It was pretty much dark by the time we got all the kit and boats loaded up and we headed back to the boathouse. We had a short debrief before departing to watch the fireworks (November the 5th)…

The next morning, we were back in Holyhead where the weather was much more favourable. The northerly wind had more or less disappeared and the swell had died down considerably overnight. However, these conditions don’t lend themselves to assessing someone for their 4* award, so a decision was made to head to Trearddur Bay to see if we could find any exciting water.


We were split into two groups, and today was also the day where we had students to look after, so we had a number of willing volunteers from Snowdonia, Amlwch and a couple of other canoe clubs join us. The idea is that the students are at around the 3* Sea standard, but there was a big variety in the group’s experience and skill level which had to be accommodated. I was in Nigel’s group for the day, and from Trearddur Bay we headed north, during which we did a bit of rock-hopping and some on-the-water navigation exercises.

It quickly dawned on me that we were heading towards (and therefore probably into) the overfalls and tide-race at Penrhyn Mawr. We sneaked through the race and headed up towards South Stack, stopping for lunch just north-east of Porth y Gwyddel in Abraham’s Bosom. After lunch, we headed back south towards Penrhyn Mawr, this time using the race working one-to-one with a student, teaching them the basic skills for paddling in a tide race.

I was lucky in some respects that my student was a pretty competent paddler, and was himself looking at undertaking the 4* assessment in the near future. I spent some time working with him on breaking in and out of the flow, as well as some surfing and rough water handling skills. We spent about an hour and a half in the race looking at various things, covering the remainder of the syllabus. We then headed back towards Trearddur Bay as the sun was starting to set, just getting off the water in time to witness a dramatic sunset.

We waited for the other group to return before heading back to Holyhead Sailing Club for debriefing. We all had a quick drink before it was time for us to hear the results of what we were here for – pass, defer or fail… I was happy to learn from Nigel that I’d passed the award and could now call myself a 4* Sea Kayak Leader. Simon also passed so we headed home very happy.

I was told before the award by a couple of people that I shouldn’t use my Anglesey Stick and that I should try and get a fibreglass boat (not my old plastic one) before trying to go for the assessment. I ignored both these pieces of advice, and feel glad that I did. I haven’t paddled on the sea with a European-style paddle for over 3 years and was reluctant to undertake an important assessment with a paddle I wasn’t used to. The same goes for the boat; I’d paddled the P&H Capella for a number of years and didn’t think switching boats for the assessment was a particularly good idea. It all goes to show that when going for assessment, don’t try and change what you’ve been doing dramatically, stick to what you know and as long as you’re ready and at the standard to pass the award, you will, with whatever type of paddle and boat you are used to.

There are a number of articles on the web about how Greenland-style paddles are no good for surf, rough water and towing, but I hope that this article can go some way to changing these misplaced perceptions. I’ve always found it easier to tow with a Greenland paddle, I use my paddle for any sea trip I go on, which frequently involve rough water and surf and I have never had a problem with its performance. The other benefit is that if you do fall in, a roll is much easier with the Greenland paddle in my opinion, so I’m a lot more confident in my ability to right myself if I do end up capsizing for any reason.

Thanks to all the folk that helped me gain the experience and skill required to pass this challenging assessment. You know who you are!

1 comment:

  1. Great point about kayak and paddle ... having spent more time, over the last 3 years with those who use green land paddles, there would seem to be a few that can use one very well ...the point being that many haven't used them in surf or rough water. I had the privilege to paddle with Cheri & Turner of Kayak Ways and this was my 1st time of seeing some one really put down speed and power ... an art ..Nice post Rich and well done!

    ReplyDelete