Wednesday 10 March 2010

Cutting commentary

Whether influenced by years of outdoor activity, or perhaps just my generation, I usually carry a knife. In the current era of moral panics, this is not fashionable, but I suspect most kayakers reading this have at least a knife as part of a normal emergency kit - probably stuffed in the front of their PFD.


I carry one of the common cheap brands (typhoon), and have never used it - but in theory one day it will be needed to cut me free from my paddle leash.

My penknife is rarely not on my person (basically just at airports) and, in contrast, is used frequently. Last week - walking part of the Anglesey Coastal Path, to free a pregnant ewe from a tangle of brambles, but usually for rather more mundane tasks. Out walking, I often also carry one or more walking poles - with tungstone carbide tips - guess which would make a decent offensive weapon.

I have been entertained by the publicity given to the achievements of Blue Peter presenter Helen Skelton who has kayaked 'solo' down the Amazon and, in the process, broken two 'world records' - Australia must be much smaller than I thought.

1 comment: